Who We Are
Richmond's Hope is based in Richmond Craigmillar Church in Niddrie in Edinburgh. Our team is made up of five members of staff. Four of them (three female and one male) are trained in childhood bereavement. Our management team is made up of our senior bereavement supportworker and our office manager. We take referrals from families who live within the bounds of the City of Edinburgh and Midlothian. In Midlothian we operate from a room in St. John's and King's Park Church in Dalkieth. We now also have a dedicated base in Carrickknowe Parish Church for children and young people in the North West of Edinburgh.
"Everyone here is so nice. From very first contact you just felt something good was going to come out of it." ( a visitor)
Here are the aims that we seek to achieve in our work.
- To make Richmond's Hope a place where bereaved children can work through their grief and have the support, information and help to allow them to manage the impact of death in their lives
- To enable the children to express and understand their emotions, and work through their grief using verbal and non verbal ways, in the safe environment of Richmond's Hope
- To increase bereaved children's self esteem by enabling them to meet others and share experiences
- To increase public understanding of the social, practical and emotional needs of bereaved children, their families and other caregivers
- To create individual programmes of care for each child (each child's grief is different)
- To be a project in which local people, carers, schools and other agencies will have complete confidence
This is our Mission Statement
We believe that we can make a difference in the lives of children who have been bereaved by supporting them through their grief using therapeutic play providing a safe haven for them to work out their feelings.